Fresh Raw Collard Green Salad with Crispy Bacon and Shallots
At XPT, we like to think of ourselves as meat eating vegetarians. We can’t ever seem to get enough vegetables, especially the dark green leafy kind. Kale still is the sexy, trendy cruciferous right now, but we wanted to give another nutrient dense veg the spotlight: Collard Greens. The detox and anti-inflammation properties of this beautiful green are off the charts. No wonder people from the South are so happy with all the Collards they put in their belly!
We put a fresh California twist on these Collards by keeping them raw. By all means experiment with another dark leafy green like Chard, Dandelion Greens, Mustard Greens or any other greens that look nice and fresh at the market. Let’s be honest, whatever greens you choose will be a great excuse to eat more bacon!
- 6-8 slices of nitrate free/sugar free cooked bacon (keep the bacon fat!)
- 2 bunches of collard greens, washed and cut into thin strips
- 6-8 radishes, chopped and sliced into strips
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 Cup EVOO
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon or stone ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- Add bacon, collards, radishes to large salad bowl.
- Put a Tablespoon of the bacon fat in a medium pan and sautee shallots until browned. Once browned, place onto a dish with a napkin to allow the shallots to dry out and crisp.
- Mix EVOO, garlic, lemon, Dijon, salt, and pepper in a bowl and whisk or a bottle and shake.
- Dress the salad to taste with the Garlic Lemon Dijon dressing and toss
- Add crispy shallots on top